Tuesday 16 August 2011

Why COMPRA? 01


On my return from Galicia, I started to realize that I had to do something with all the material I had generated. Thoughts around the importance of buying and selling, the damage of consumerism, the social significance of small owner occupied businesses and need to preserve the visual diversity of the High Street began to crystallize into an argument that I felt needed to be made. The question was how to make it? I have always believed that to draw something you need to respect it. This is different to taking a photograph, you spend more time with your subject and as a result somehow the act imparts value to it. With this in mind I looked at the work of Emory Douglas and Eric Ravilious. Two very different artists working with very different subject matter, but both managed to produce images that force us to respect this subject matter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment