Saturday 6 August 2011

Calle La Franje





In A Coruña, the place to eat seafood is on a buzzing little street called La Franja, more or less every restaurant here serves good seafood tapas. One Sunday afternoon I spent a very pleasant 3 hours in a bar called ‘Meson O Gallego’. Here is what I wrote in my notebook. ‘I ate in ‘Meson O Gallego’ because they had a menu you could point at. The waitresses looked like they had the hump, but the food looked great and it was rammed, so I waited for a table and sat down. As I suspected, service was very gruff, no niceties, point and pick, get your wine, get your bread and get on with it. I had scallops cooked with bacon, asparagus and prawns that were big, plump & sweet all of which was mopped up with some good rustic bread. After a couple of glasses of wine, I got talking to a young Spanish couple, who commented on me translating the menu with my phrase book and writing notes. They were from Salamanca, ‘the most attractive city in Spain’ apparently - could be a next trip (is their football team in LaLiga?) They took me through virtually the whole menu and recommended I round of my meal with some Orujo and after a couple of these I realized that the waitresses were not miserable after all and were actually very funny in a very dry, slightly scary, way'.

No comments:

Post a Comment